IMG_1286_edited_edited.jpg

TAKING CARE OF YOUR WOOD WICK CANDLE

Wooden wicks are beautiful, unique, natural candles have that wonderful crackling sound, are aesthetically pleasing, and provide a cleaner burn. Once you've tried a wooden wick, it's hard to go back to cotton wicks. However, they can be a a little tricky to burn at first and do require a different kind of maintenance. Here are some tips to get the most out of your Noir Lux Candle:

Tip #1: The first burn is the most important!

Wood wick candles require some training. The first time you burn a soy wax candle, it actually sets a "memory". During the first burn, be sure you give your candle enough time (2-3hours) to have a full circle melt (the top of the wax is completely melted) before you put it out. This will also help your candle last longer.

Tip #2: Keep your wood wick trimmed and free of charred bits

For optimal burn, you'll want to keep your wood wick trimmed to  1/8" and clean of any burnt wood from previous use. Often, when your wood wick won't stay lit, it's due to the wick being too long. You can do this by using your fingers or a wick trimmer to snap off the black burnt bits of the wick. 

 

Tip #3: If tunneling happens, you can try to fix it

If you find that your wick has "tunneled" (an unfortunate process where the wick burns straight down the center of a candle and forms a tunnel), you can try to fix this by scooping out the wax that is stuck to the glass with a knife or spoon. Scoop out enough until the wax is even with the surface of the wick.

 

Tip #4: If your wick is too short, you can troubleshoot

If the wood wick was trimmed too short and the candle won't stay lit because it is "drowning" in a pool of wax, try using a paper towel or napkin to soak up some of the excess wax. Continue this process until your wick has room to breathe!

 

And for extra credit:

Remember, your wick shouldn't produce any soot or smoke; if it does, this usually means that your wick needs a trim, or there are burnt parts interfering with the flame. 

The flame may go out the first time you light your candle, or refuse to stay lit. This is in part because the wick needs time to draw the wax up as fuel source. If your candle doesn't light the first time, dust your lighter off and try again. :)

You'll likely have more success using a lighter than a match, as the flame is typically bigger and stronger.

Wooden wicks have large bases to help support them, so it's pretty common for some wax to be left over in the jar. The metal clip that supports your wick serves as a safety mechanism and will prevent your wick from burning to the bottom of the jar. If your candle isn't performing well and there's only about 1/2" of wax left in the jar, it may simply be that the candle has run its course.

If you want to get the most out of the leftover wax, you can always place your candle on a warmer for a safe option. If you can't stand seeing that wax left at the bottom of your candle, it may be better to choose a different sort of wick that does not require a larger base.

 

We want you to stay lit, so hopefully these tips help!